We're less than two months away from the opening kickoff of the 2014 high school football season! With the Illinois Volleyball team playing more Wednesday (and fewer Friday) matches, we'll have the opportunity to broadcast more high school football this fall! Here is our planned broadcast lineup, subject to change if needed:
- Friday September 5: Marion at Centennial. The Wildcats have qualified for the Class 5A playoffs in nine straight seasons, but haven't won a playoff game since 2010. They should provide a very good early season test for Illini commitment Jimmy Fitzgerald and the Chargers.
- Friday September 12: Central at Urbana. After a breakout 9-2 season in 2012, the Tigers fell back to 2-7 a year ago and are looking to return to the postseason. Meanwhile, the Maroons are looking to build on a 3-6 record in coach Nate Albaugh's first season in 2013.
- Friday October 3: Centennial at Urbana. The final Twin City game of the 2014 season will likely decide the winner of the Twin City Championship... unless Central can sweep these two schools in September.
- Friday October 10: St. Thomas More at Monticello. 2014 is the first season for the new Okaw Valley Conference, and there should be a lot of great matchups, including this rematch of a 2013 first-round Class 3A playoff game that the Sages won 22-10.
- Friday October 17: St. Joseph-Ogden at Unity. The Spartans and the Rockets. In conference play. It's been way too long since we've been able to say that. It should be a great night in Tolono.
I'll be joined on our high school football broadcasts this season by Scott Beatty, Tim Ditman and Michael Kiser. Be sure to say hello if you see us at your school this season!
Thanks for reading.